National Council Survey Executive Summary
Mental illness is a significant and widespread problem that disproportionately affects poor, uninsured and underinsured populations.
- 1 in 5 adults experience mental illness in a given year.
- 10 million adults are coping with serious mental illness.
- 5.1 million adults have unmet mental health needs.
- 17% adults with mental illness remain uninsured.
- Among those living below FPL, mental illnesses are move severe, last longer and have worse outcomes.
- Nonadherence to psychotropic medications is common; cost is a contributing factor.
- In 2012, 60% of uninsured Americans with a chronic condition skipped medication due to cost.
Americares and the National Council for Behavioral Health partnered to conduct a national landscape survey to collect information on needs around access to psychotropic medications for clients served and technical assistance for behavioral health organizations.