Eye and Vision Care for the Unisured and Underinsured
This section provides links to resources such as how- to guides, case studies, publications, screening tools/practice guidelines and links related to eye disease, patient care and more.
- National Eye Institute: The institute supports eye research and does not help individuals pay for eye care, but the site lists programs and resources for financing eye care - Financial Aid for Eye Care
- Optometry Cares, The AOA Foundation: This foundation houses a variety of resources and programs aimed at supporting charitable efforts relating to eye health and vision care including Healthy Eyes, Healthy People and VISION USA.
- Mission Cataract USA: This organization works with clinics across almost 20 states that provide free cataract surgery for those who have no means to afford it. Click here for a list of participating providers.
- The Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology: This site offers an online referral center in which patients can learn if they qualify for a free eye exam by a participating provider.
- Causes and Prevalence of Visual Impairment Among Adults in the United States
- Risks of Progression of Retinopathy and Vision Loss Related to Tight Blood Pressure Control in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
- National Eye Institute: Statistics and Data including a map developed by Prevent Blindness America showing vision problem prevalence by state.