Increasing Patient Outcomes Using Health Information Technology (HIT) in a Safety Net Facility
Health Information Technology (HIT) in a Safety Net Facility, if implemented correctly, can improve health outcomes in patients. The resources in this section provide how- to guides and publications on setting up HIT in a safety net facility.
Telehealth Resource Centers (TRCS), funded by the Health Resource and Services Administration (HRSA) Office for the Advancement of Telehealth, assist safety net providers in the implementation of cost-effective telehealth programs to serve rural and medically-underserved areas and populations. TRCS provide free resources such as a step-by-step guide to telehealth program development for organizations seeking to implement health IT as well as information about reimbursement, legal and regulatory guidelines. There are 14 TRCS across the U.S. comprised of 12 Regional Centers and 2 National Centers which focus on areas of technology assessment and telehealth policy. Click here to learn more about TRCS and find the center that serves your area. To learn more about telehealth and grant programs from HRSA, click here.
How to Guides
- How to Implement Electronic Health Records - HealthIT.gov
- Health Information Technology Toolkit for Rural Health Care Providers - Office of Rural Health Policy/HRSA/U.S. Dept. of HHS
- Health IT and Patient Safety: Building Safer Systems for Better Care - Institute of Medicine of the National Academies
- Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive Program - Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Health IT and Quality Webinars - HRSA
- Using an EHR and Quality Data to Improve Hypertension - HRSA